Friday, June 7, 2013

What to Say and Believe When the Shift Hits the Fan

Keeping spiritual balance can be challenging or feel nearly impossible when life seems to turn completely upside down. Here’s something that helps.

It was the third trip to the emergency room in four weeks. But instead of being led to where my mother was, as had happened all of the other times over the past several months—including just two days before this event, I was taken into a private room by a nice woman, then immediately followed in by three E.R. staff, who needed to know if my mother had a Do Not Resuscitate order in place. They told me timing was critical; they didn’t believe she could breathe on her own. Mom’s systolic blood pressure was 50, her heart rate was low, and she was unresponsive. I was being asked to make a decision about whether my mother was to continue to live or not, and being given only moments to take this in.

While I dealt with the shock of this information and an emergency team desperate for a decision, Source had other plans. I asked to see my mother; and when she finally heard my voice and said my name, her condition began to improve—slowly, but the numbers were going up, not down. And when medical staff felt they could take her for a CAT Scan (she’d hit her head when she’d lost consciousness), and the room cleared, I got on my knees and asked for guidance, which I received within seconds. I still had the rush of adrenaline, but did feel calmer because I’d been given good guidance from Source.

Once stabilized, Mom was admitted and placed into a room. We talked about a lot of things. That was the last time we were able to have that kind of conversation for several days. She was septic, meaning her blood was infected, which meant her brain was affected, as well. All of this created dementia and she also began to hallucinate, and the hallucinations went on for more than 24 hours. Her agitation was so great they had to give her a potent drug every several hours to calm her down so she could rest. Once things began to settle down, she remained confused and easily agitated for several days. To say the experience was severe on all levels is accurate. 

It became obvious, first to me then to my mother once she felt better, that there was much to get in order. My days became quite busy with so many things to think about and take care of that almost nothing about my life was the same or what I’d call “typical”; and I was exhausted.

Once circumstances became more manageable, I knew I needed to continue on with tasks that needed immediate attention, but also knew my inspiration was way down, as was my energy. But I had time to think again, rather than just be in action-mode, so drew on something I’d heard in an Abraham-Hicks video. Every morning and as often as I thought about it during the day, I made several statements to Source (and continue this practice). You might consider using these now, but especially if or when the shift hits the fan in your own life:

Thank you for loving me.
Thank you for always being with me.
Thank you for always supporting me.
Thank you for inspiring me.
Thank you for always providing what’s needed, and in right timing.
Thank you for guiding and assisting me to be lovingly appropriate and appropriately loving.

The key to feeling even a bit better when times are tough or tense, or both, is to find at least one thought that lifts you up even just a bit so you don’t feel utterly alone or adrift—feelings which can happen when you feel shaken to the core by events. I will tell you that when the experience with my mom was really bad, metaphysics or spiritual practice was the last thing on or in my mind. I carry no guilt or self-criticism about that. Now that I have some time to give the experience reflection, I am giving the metaphysical aspect of manifestation and tangled hierarchy (experiences of individuals overlapping) deeper consideration. And I know I’ll be looking at this entire experience as it relates to me, and I to it, for quite a while.

I also ask you to pay attention, as well, to the fact that even amid all goings-on initially in the E.R., once the room was empty of all energies but mine and Source, I was able to regroup, so-to-speak, was able to calm myself enough to consciously turn to my connection with Source in my mind and heart.

I also reached out to people, and deeply appreciated their support and prayers. Too often, we try to carry our burdens alone. We are stronger when there are many “hands” and hearts helping us to get up and stay up.

Never cause yourself to be without support from others; reach out, and let them assist you in whatever way is appropriate for them—but don’t hesitate to isolate yourself for a while in order to have no “static” interfering with your connection with Source and your self. Don’t judge yourself if you temporarily forget pretty much all the metaphysics or spiritual practice you know when dealing with an emergency or utter exhaustion or frustration; neither be surprised if you do remember what you know while experiencing these, and begin to put it into practice. Find something like the statements I’m using to help you regain your footing, as soon as it feels or becomes appropriate for you to do so. These are good practices, ones you’ll appreciate, especially when you need them the most.           
  
Practice makes progress.

© Joyce Shafer

No comments:

Post a Comment